Sunday, March 25, 2007

A Yaa Tuulgo!

That's Mooré for "it's HOT!" The hot (read: hotter) season has commenced with a vengeance. It went from tolerable to "this is what they mean by hellfire" in a matter of days. I will be sleeping under the stars until the rainy season washes me back inside in a few months.
I just got back from Ouaga where we celebrated the impending departure of the oldest group of Burkina volunteers, who will be leaving us in June. The weekend was full of boisterous, debaucherous, and generally inappropiate activities ranging from sector vs. sector kickball (Girls' Ed and Empowerment lost badly, go figure) to some good old fashioned college (apple juice drinking) games to skits honoring (making fun of) the departing volunteers to karaoke. I'm currently in Fada, headed back to village tomorrow. Despite the suffocatingly stultifying heat, I am happy, no thrilled, to report that it just RAINED (ok, it sprinkled) for the first time in at least 6 months. Praise allah. Unfortunately, the rain has departed and the heat and humidity remain.

Apple Juice and Beirut skills - still got 'em

Kim and I, displaying unusual cuteness given the climate

This might be a game of flip cup

I mentioned in my previous post that I'd probably have lots to report regarding the move to my new house the next time around. I can't say I have lots, but I have some quality information to relay. The move went smoothly, with even the transfer of my wordly belongings by donkey cart occuring with relative ease. I was able to set up in a few days and already feel quite at home in my new abode. Beyond that, thus far I feel confident in asserting that my original supposition was correct. I am a seriously happier camper and feel like a brand new PCV. I'm amazed, though not surprised, at how much moving a kilometer has changed ma vie au village. It's been two weeks, but my Mooré has already improved by leaps and bounds (thanks to an army of dimunitive teachers, e.g. the neighborhood kiddies) and I am feeling much more bien integré. I've already gotten in good with the local ladies, who like to socialize with me when I pass by and get a kick out of teaching me phrases in Mooré and then listening to me butcher them. The vieux (old guy) in the neighboring courtyard has also declared that he is willing to leave both of his wives for me (oddly, they don't seem to mind) and we now refer to each other as "mam kiera" (my dear). This could be creepy except that he is quite possibly the cutest old man alive (he's got to be at least 85) and he's about 5 feet tall.
It's just started to storm for real (hallelujah!), so as this is Burkina and the power and/or internet will most surely cut out presently, I'll keep this short and sweet and close with some pictures of the new digs.

Thanks for reading.
'Til next time,
Chrissy
*Also, because there seems to be some confusion - I'll be in West Africa until August-ish 2008. Yeah, that's a long time. See you at the end of W's presidency.

Home, Sweet Home

Carting my stuff via donkey cart



La nouvelle maison

The terrace and front door


The water/dish-doing corner



My yoga spot, for a little early-morning exercise/inner harmony


The reading/eating/everything nook



La cuisine - where the magic happens







My indoor shower (a serious luxury here in the BF), that's the bucket from which I bathe



My bedroom and the world's largest mosquito net


View to the East from my courtyard, my nearest neighbors

The view to the North from my courtyard

A pretty flowering bush in a neighboring courtyard



"The earth swallowed heat all day and regurgitated it at night..."

- Alexandra Fuller, "Scribbling the Cat: Travels With An African Soldier

No comments: