Sunday, May 28, 2006

Random Musings

It's been a full, busy week since I came home. I spent the beginning of the week in Chicago with my parents, visiting with my cousins and their kids, an undeniably precious and precocious bunch. We went to a reception with former and future Peace Corps volunteers on Wednesday night which made for a unique and illuminating experience. It was cool to talk with people who'd volunteered in the '60s and '70s, when the Peace Corps was both greener and more obscure, as well as more recent volunteers - all of whom had such positive things to say and whose service has obviously affected them in so many ways, from career choices and ongoing volunteer efforts to the most basic aspects of how they approach life and the world.

We spent today with a good portion of my dad's side of my (rather large) family - always a great time, but especially meaningful with my departure imminent. There's something unspeakably, fundamentally grounding about spending time with family who've been there your whole life (or theirs, little cousins) and who represent something so basic in your existence and experience. On top of that, the unflagging support and encouragement of people you love is worth more than anything I can imagine.


No comments: